Out of Sync

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
posted on September 8th, 2024, 6:35 pm
Hello team,

Could someone please explain the root cause reason(s) behind Armada multiplayer games going out of sync?

It seems a significant amount of time and effort was put in to resolving this issue for Fleet Ops. Does that thinking apply to the base Armada 1 and 2 games as well?

The Armada 1 multiplayer community faces issues with OOS games on a daily basis. It occurrs in games via the IPX Wrapper (https://www.solemnwarning.net/ipxwrapper/) and GameRanger (https://www.gameranger.com/). There are theories it relates to mixed player operating systems in game - is this a definite contributing factor? It seems certain ship abilities/in-game actions provoke the behaviour e.g. Interceptor Transwarp.

Are any of Fleet Ops' lessons learned applicable/re-usable, perhaps even redistributable as part of a patch project 1.4?

Thank you!
posted on September 19th, 2024, 5:23 pm
There are some bugs in stock Armada 2 that will cause out of sync issues. Some of them only occurring when using mods. Out of sync issues are basically the reason we stopped working on A2-FO which were numerous in the last version we were working on and weren't able to resolve.

I honestly do not know if new issues could be caused by a different OS. It shouldn't, as the game logic mostly isn't dependent on any OS functions as far as i remember. It has been a long time since i was working on Armada 2.

There are no plans for another Armada 2 patch from me.

Edit:

I missed that you were talking about Armada 1 specifically. I do not know if and what kind of bugs related to out of syncs are in Armada 1. When i did the patch project, i just back-ported some stuff and bug-fixes i did for Armada 2. They are somewhat similar code wise. I am sure there are still plenty of unresolved issues in Armada 1, the same as it was with Armada 2.

Again, no plans on doing another Patch for Armada 1 or Armada 2.
posted on September 23rd, 2024, 8:22 am
Oh God, he's alive... the one and only Doca is alive... :D :D :D

(sry 4 OT :woot: )